Thursday, March 14, 2019

Cowgirl Lessons - March calving season

I am so over losing baby calves to this crazy winter.  I also hate when my husband brings in a newborn calf all wet and cold in its birthday suit.  No blanket, no toweling off.  He has no mothering instinct and he has been doing this way longer than I have been around.

We had a blizzard blow through last night.  A bomb cyclone they called it and I have been out today in the aftermath, more than ever before, bringing in 3 newborns in the back of a mule to the warming box.

Each time I had a blanket to wrap them up in so they weren't shivering and the last time out I even took off one of my sweatshirt jackets and braved the cold myself to wrap it up so it could get drying off.   Running calf bus with more than one passenger is quite the challenge.  A bigger challenge is unloading a calf from the back of the mule 4x4 all by myself and getting it into the shed where the warming box is located.  I definitely do not know the proper way to carry one of these not so little ones.

None of the calves that I have wrapped up and started drying off have died in the warming box.  Maybe it is the mothering instinct I have in me to preserve life and get the baby the best start to life.  The first one (323) has already gone back to momma and was all dry, warm and fluffy.  Baby #2 (161) is in the warming box and baby #3 (???) got to stay out with mom but is in a temporary shed where it is dry and out of the cold wind.

Of course, all my clothes are now in the laundry because baby slime gets on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment